Can ammonia be used to prevent fainting ?

if there s fainting!? do i need to use ammonia?! and what kind of brand of ammonia can i use here in saudi arabia!?
Asked On : Sun, 3 Apr 2011
Dentist 's  Response
hi aiza,

Ammonia is an irritant, it irritates the alveolar cells which is its disadvantage but we take advantage of it in fainting patients.
One has to be very alert while using it, in India we as a dental surgeon use spirituous ammonia during dental procedure when we face any unconsciousness during dental surgery.

Dr. Vishal Jain.
Psychiatrist Dr. Keerthish Shetty's  Response
Hi Aiza,
Your query stems from the unfortunate fact that most people (including highly qualified doctors) are not aware of the condition called "conversion disorder" which is fainting due to psychological cause. Even in the emergency rooms, ignorant doctors use ammonia thinking that the patient is acting or malingering. Ammonia is an irritant gas (can even cause burns) and it should not be used on any patient.

It is advisable to consult a psychiatrist because, more than the problem of fainting, it is the underlying psychological stress that needs to be addressed.
Nephrologist Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha's  Response
Thanks for the query. Ammonia in inhalational forms are not normally prescribed for fainting. PLease find out the actual cause for fainting. I could have helped you further if u had told me your age, sex, habits, hypertension and diabetes history, cholestrol, Have a healthy living