Can a osteoporosis patient having severe asthma undergo a surgery for multilevel degenerative disc disease after a bad fall ?

MY MOTHER IS 52 YEARS OLD WITH SEVER OSTEOPROSIS. SHE IS ON STEROIDS FOR ABOUT 5 YEARS FOR ASTHMA . HER ASTHMA IS SEVERE. A MONTH AGO SHE FELL AND HAVE SEVERE PAIN DUE TO DISC COMPRESSION. SHE HAVE CONSTANT BURNING SENSATION IN BOTH HER FEET AND SHE IS ON HEAVY PAIN MEDICATION. NEURO SURGEONS WE HAVE CONSULTED SAY THAT SHE IS UNFIT FOR SURGERY AND ONLY PHYSIO THERAPY AND TIME WILL HELP HER RECOVER. THE MRI REPORT SAYS MULTILEVEL DEGENERATIVE DISC DISEASE INVOLVING L3-L4 AND L4-L5 LEVEL. AT L3-L4 LEVEL, RIGHT PARACENTRAL DISC PROTRUSION NOTED CAUSING RIGHT LATERAL RECESS NARROWING. AT L4-L5 LEVEL, RIGHT LATERAL DISC PROTRUSION NOTED CAUSING RIGHT LATERAL RECESS NARROWING AND RIGHT RADICULAR COMPRESSION. ON THE LEFT SIDE, THERE IS ENCROACHMENT OF LEFT NEURAL FORAMINA WITHOUT ANY RADICULAR COMPRESSION. IMPORTANT. I AM I PAKISTAN SO CONSIDERING THAT A NEURO SURGEON MIGHT SEE 20 TO 30 PATIENTS IN THE 2 HOURS CONSULTING I AM NOT SURE IF THEY ARE TAKING THEIR TIME TO EVALUATE MY MOTHERS CONDITION PROPERLY. SHE IS TAKING MULTIPLE PAIN MANAGEMENT MEDICATION INCLUDING OPIOIDS AND STILL CANT WALK MORE THEN A FEW STEPS AT A TIME AND CANT SIT. THE BURNING SENSATION IS CONSTANT AND I AM WORRIED THAT MIGHT LEAD TO SOMETHING WORSE IN THE FUTURE. I NEED SOME ADVICE AND HELP. THANKYOU
Asked On : Thu, 2 Jun 2011