Can I use guaifenesin and mucolytic for upper respiratory infection? Will it affect the lactating mother or infant in a bad way?

Guaifenesin is listed as an expectorant and n-acetyl cystein as a mucolytic. Would you please explain in as much detail as possible the difference that is happening when either is used with an upper respiratory infection? What are the dangers of use of each medicine for the eleven month old infant of a breast feeding mother if she were to take n-acetyl cyteine or guaifenesin? She nurses twice a day.
Asked On : Tue, 25 Sep 2012