Can I reduce my count of hb1ac(9.9) in a week ?

I have a week to get my hba1c down from about 9.9. Male 285 lbs. Age 50 Or i will lose my job. Any help?
Asked On : Fri, 24 Jun 2011
Hi. Thanks for posting your query.

HBA1c is a marker of long term (Three Months) blood sugar control. Its should be normally between 4 - 6. Your HbA1c is 9.9.

If your blood sugars are adequately controlled for three consecutive months, only then, your HbA1c will come to normal.

There is not medicine/procedure which can bring down HbA1c to normal in a weeks time. I am sorry however, this a fact.

What is possible is that you get your blood sugars controlled with in a weeks times with a medications. You will need to consult your Primary Physician for the same. You can explain your employer that since sugars are controlled, HbA1c will automatically fall into place in a matter of few months.

Hope this answers your query.

Thanks and Regards

Dr Kiran