Can I read EKG myself?

I am getting an EKG done on Tuesday, can I read the machines myself and how?
Asked On : Sat, 19 Dec 2009
No you can't read the EKG yourself. It takes special training to read EKG's. The doctor will read your EKG and tell you the results. An EKG detects and records the electrical activity of the heart. It also detects cardiac arrhythmias. It guides therapy and risk stratification for patients with suspected acute myocardial infarction. It helps detect electrolyte disturbances (e.g. hyperkalemia and hypokalemia) It allows for the detection of conduction abnormalities (e.g. right and left bundle branch block) It is used as a screening tool for ischemic heart disease during a cardiac stress test. It is occasionally helpful with non-cardiac diseases (e.g. pulmonary embolism or hypothermia). The electrocardiogram does not directly assess the contractility of the heart. However, it can give a rough indication of increased or decreased contractility. Your doctor I am sure will explain everything in detail to you. I have had many EKG's they only take a few minutes to be done and they are painless (as you are probably already aware). Best wishes to you.