Can I opt of artificial cartilage instead of knee replacement ?

My fathers age is presently 56 years. 9 years back he had suffered with knee pain for the right leg and he had undergone surgery and the doctor had cut the cartilege and operated wrongly.Again after some months of operation he had pain with the knee and he had undergone orthoscopic surgery(in 2002) there he came to know about the wrong operation. At present again he is suffering with knee pain and the doctor suggested for knee replacement . Are there any new inventions for the artificial cartilege to be arranged in the knee joints instead of knee replacement.
Asked On : Tue, 9 Aug 2011