Can I have wine or beer as I am taking metrogyl tablet for gum problem ?

i am taking metrogyl for gum problem, can i have a glass of wine or beer
Asked On : Thu, 13 Jan 2011
Dentist Dr. Deepesh Kariwala's  Response
hello ...... no you can not mix metrogyl with any type of alcohal...it will induce di sulfiram like reaction and you can have nausea vomitting and other symptoms ...better avoid alcohal during treatment course....gud luck...dr deepesh kariwala

Dentist Dr. Akash Prasad's  Response
Welcome to Healthcaremagic!
Consumption of Alcohol with Metrogyl is highly discouraged. It causes Potentially fatal reaction with alcohol by increasing drug toxicity.
Combination of alcohol with metrogyl can cause potential deterioration of Patient's condition. However reported cases of these kind of fatal reactions are limited in the literature, the combination of two should be avoided.
Thanks
Dentist Dr. Ankit Aggarwal's  Response
Sir
It is strongly contraindicated to take wine or beer or any type of alcohol while you are on metrogyl which is basically metronidazole. it causes DISULFIRAM like reaction , which in simple words is experiencing the effects of a severe hangover for a period of 30 minutes up to several hours. Symptoms include flushing of the skin, accelerated heart rate, shortness of breath, nausea, vomiting, throbbing headache, visual disturbance, mental confusion, postural syncope, and circulatory collapse.

Wishing you better health
with regards
Dr Ankit

Dentist Dr. Inderpreet Singh's  Response
don't do it . metrogyl is contraindicated in patients who are alcoholic as it causes a typical disulfiram like reaction which prevents the processing of alcohol in the body. disulfiram was used to prevent alcohol dependence as it causes unpleasant reaction in alcoholics and thus discourages them.
the reaction is associated with increased anxiety, higher blood pressure, restlessness and some other unpleasant symptoms.
so best avoided.