Can I get the HIV infection if I donate blood?

Can I get the HIV infection if I donate blood? How long can the AIDS virus live outside the human body?
Asked On : Sat, 26 Sep 2009
I guess having herpes/HIV/HPV is not the end of the world. I'm living with HIV positive for 2 years. I was upset at the beginning.
A std support site helps me find useful, up-to-date information for lots of warm-hearted people..No rejection or discrimination. We're not alone.
Ayurveda Specialist Dr. Ram Mani Bhandari's  Response
Dear wolfgang
actually donating blood the health technician use the sterile syringe for drawing your blood. there is chance of infection for acceptor but also these days either donation and blood transfusion there is test for HIV in blood...
Nothing to worry
No. This is not possible as all materials used for collecting blood are sterile. In fact, persons who are healthy should come forward for voluntary blood donation. The Human Immunodeficiency Virus is fragile. Once the virus is outside the body in a dry form, it dies immediately. Even in a wet state, it does not live long when exposed to heat, detergents, or disinfectants. When stored in blood banks at 4°C, it can live for about 3 weeks (or longer), or till the white cell disintegrates, but in a frozen state it can survive for years.