Can I be pregnant if my blood test turns out negative but ultrasound shows a sac in the uterus ?

My period is currently 3.5 weeks late and i had an ultrasound which showed a sac in my uterus measuring about 6.5 mm ( the technician said I was pregnant ). My doctor then ordered a blood pregnancy test which came back negative. His explanation was it could just be a water sac caused by my period being late and that I was not pregnant. Is it possible that I am pregnant and that the hormones just aren t showing in my blood yet? I just want to know because we have been trying to conceive for several years with no luck and my doctor is recommending I start on a birth control pill to push start a menstrual cycle which I don t want to do if there is any chance I may be pregnant.
Asked On : Thu, 30 Jun 2011