Calculus in left kidney, spread to vesico-ureteric junction. Surgical removal required?

Hi Dr.. My wife (32 years) was diagnosed with a calculus in her left kidney last year. After a few painful episodes, the same calculus (6 mm) is now shown to be in the vesico-ureteric junction in USG KUB. She has had a urine infection, and currently on antibiotics . My question is does this type of calculus pass naturally, or should we go for surgical removal without any delay? Thanks
Asked On : Sun, 21 Oct 2012
Cardiologist 's  Response
Hi Mr Raja
Considering the size and location, your wife stands a good chance of passing it naturally. The problem is pain and time. Occasionally, it may obstruct - apart from size, surrounding swelling caused by its irritation may be responsible.
Removal straight away is is the best option. It is not 'surgery' in the true sense of the word - a procedure! They put a tube from below (Ureteroscope) and extract the stone. It is fast but expensive...
Drink plenty of water - doing nothing but drinking water and passing 'water' may hasten the process
Wishing her a speedy recovery
Good luck