COPD diagnosed during an asthma attack. What are the symptoms should I watch out for?

I have ashma, but when I went to the ER to get a breathing treatment my discharge papers said I have COPD . either way I need to breathe and dont know what to do. I took my inhaler four times in about two or three hours and still have a hard time breathing. My inhaler is empty now, but I found an old one dated 06/2009. I am going to use it because I really need to breath. I dont know if this is okay or not, but are there symptoms I should watch for other than being shakey?
Asked On : Thu, 4 Apr 2013