CHF with hard ankles. What is causing this ?

My mother has a bad heart CHF and her ankles are harden why???
Asked On : Sat, 11 Jun 2011
Welcome to Healthcare Magic
Good Day
Due to CHF, there would have been chronic accumulation of oedema which causes fluid accumulation and fibrotic changes. You will need to rule out callouses which is excessive keratin around the sole if that is the case. It may be removed medially/surgically if it's a callus.
General & Family Physician Dr. Mohammed Tauseef's  Response
Hi Rebecca, Welcome to HealthcareMagic Forum.
What exactly are her Symptoms? Does she have Leg Swelling? In CHF, heart cannot pump enough blood to meet the body's needs. Over a period of time, owing to her age her arteries will get narrowed or might develop high blood pressure which gradually leave her heart too weak or stiff to fill and pump efficiently. This causes lower limb swelling and make the Limbs Stiff. She has to be examined by a Physician, as she will need Diuretics to remove excess fluids from the Body, then her leg stiffness will reduce.
She should Restrict salt in her diet, Maintain a healthy weight by regular Brisk walks, Limit fluids, Cholesterol and avoid stress. Let her sleep with her Leg end elevated if she doesn't have any shortness of Breath. Take her for regular follow up.

I Wish her Good Health, Take Care.