CAT scan showed mini strokes, later has discomfort, grunting due the throat full of stuff. Prelude to the end?

My dad suffered a major stroke 12 years ago. On Tuesday he suffered another stroke. We took him to the hospital and he was fine talking to us. Then on the friday he had another stroke - they said his heart is giving up and we should expect him to die that day. The cat scan revealed that he has suffered from a lot of mini strokes. On Saturday when we were there he was on the mend with talking (albeit a word every 15 words) we could have a conversation with him, he laughed and winked as well. On Sunday when I to visit him it looked like he had take 10 steps backwards. Although he was responding, he wasnt talking and his eyes were shut. He was grunting and gurgling which we discovered his throat was full of stuff. We got them to suction it all out especially the brown stuff that was coming out his mouth. Can someone please tell me, will he make it, is this a prelude to the end? He has asked us not to rescusitate him again should it happen.
Asked On : Thu, 17 Jan 2013