Burning sensation, numbness in fingers. Had ACL surgery. Will numbness spread?

Hi, I had ACL surgery in my left knee about 4 years ago. After surgery, I used ice treatments to reduce swelling . I think a few times I left it on for too long, and some areas of my thigh were in direct contact with the wrap. Now, there is an area of my thigh that is numb, to the touch, but I still have the function of the leg and can still feel pressure when I push the numb area with my fingers. At night there is a burning sensation in that area when I lay down to sleep. I didn t notice this immediately after the surgery, but have been bothered by it for a few years now. Will the numb area eventually spread further, or will it remain localized? Thanks for any advice you can provide.
Asked On : Sat, 4 Aug 2012
Neurologist, Surgical 's  Response
Hi, I had gone through your question and understand your concerns. It is difficult to say if the numb area will spread or no. You need a nerve conduction testing (ENMG) in order to evaluate the degree of nerve damage and the exact place of damaged area. This and clinical observation ( if you are experiencing worsening of numbness in time) can show if the numbness will progress or not. Hope this answers your question. If you have additional questions or follow up questions then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your questions.