Burning sensation in toe. Lasts for few seconds. No redness, swelling. What could this be?

I am a 38 yr old female. I first experience a sharp, shooting, burning sensation in my left big toe about a month ago. Didn t hurt to walk. Then I jumped in the shower and the water hitting the toe made it feel like it was on fire. After getting out it was fine. Experienced again today after shovelling snow. Lasts only a few seconds, maybe 15 second.It s coming from the inside of toe, under the nail area. There is no redness and is not swollen. What can this be?
Asked On : Mon, 18 Mar 2013