Burning sensation in left nostril, pain in jaws, teeth, ears after eating food. Cure for symptoms?

this seems to happen the same time every night usally 20 minutes after eating dinner it starts with a bad burning sensation inside my left nostril and works its way up to the left side of my head it affects my jaw bones, teeth and ear it seems to last about 30 min.then goes away its very painful 45 yr old male with no medical problems except this.
Asked On : Mon, 3 Dec 2012
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Aug 2013
hello and welcome to HCM,

I am Dr Sriram Nathan an ENT surgeon and I will try to help you out with your problem.

At the offset let me assure you that it may just be an acute reflux pharyngitis which you are suffering from and in all probability it will become better in a week or so from now.

When you are stressed out or when you eat the reflux may reflect as pain in any part of the GI or respiratory tract and since you are getting the sensation just after food it is most likely to be reflux.

You need to relax and do these immediately:

1. Take salt water gargle with warm water at least twice a day

2. Start an anti reflux tablet like pantoprazole along with a multivitamin like the zincovit. Unless you do not have pain or other symptoms you do not need to take antibiotics or pain killers. Your doctor will know about these medications.

3. Take only bland diet for the next one week

4. Avoid anything spicy, oily or high flavoured

5. Wait for a week or two for these to work and if that does not improve your condition then you must take an endoscopy of the upper GI and sinuses and also throat swab along with complete blood profile and get back to me or any ENT with the reports.

Hope your doubts are clear and I will be happy to clear any more doubts that you may have.

Take care and get well soon

Dr Sriram Nathan