Burning sensation in ears on putting on a gold earring. Ears pierced a long time ago. Causes?

Hello I tried to put a set of earrings in this morning, one went in fine but the other hurt. once the earing was in it felt like my ear was burning, they are not a cheep pair either, they are solid white gold. why is this happening & how can i stop it? PS. I had my ears pierced over 20 years ago, I dont always wear earrings but I always put an earing through the hole every month to ensure that the hole doesnt heal up.
Asked On : Fri, 18 Jan 2013