Burning sensation in chest. Normal BP. Regular smoker. Cause and treatment?

Dear Doctor, I am 51 year old and male. I have been smoking about 8/9 cigarettes a day for over 20 years now. Since a week, I am experiencing severe burning in the center of the chest when I walk up a gradient for about 50 steps. It will subside after a few minutes. My BP was normal (130/90) when checked about a month ago and am not diabetic. Kindly advise on the cuase of my problem and the course of diagnosis and treatment.
Asked On : Wed, 16 Jan 2013

Welcome to HCM,

With your symptoms there is strong possibility of that this is Angina Pectoris. Please visit your Cardiologist and get EKG done and then future course of action depends on result if abnormal treatment can be started and further testing is done with complete blood test like FBS,PPBS,BUN,and Lipid profile along with X ray chest and Echocardiography and coronary Angiography

If your EKG is normal then you should go for a Tread mill test to know status of coronary arteries and evidence of reversible myocardial Ischemia.

You should quit smoking otherwise also due to other risks.

If cardiac cause is not detected then Acid Peptic Disorder with reflux is other possibility.

Please take care.

Good Luck
Endocrinologist Dr. Om Lakhani's  Response
Dear Sir

At your age chest pain on exertion can be a significant problem. I would advise you to go for a cardiac evaluation which includes the following

1. ECG
2. Tredmill test
3. Echocardiography

Do get back to me with the reports and I can advise you any further management if required

Dr. Om Lakhani
General & Family Physician Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta's  Response
You seem to be suffering from angina.
Discomfort in the chest that can range from mild discomfort to severe pain is called angina. Although chest pain can have many origins, true angina is a symptom of inadequate blood and oxygen supply to the heart, a condition most often due to plaque in the arteries (also called ischemic or coronary heart disease). When deposits (plaques) build up within the arteries, the condition is called coronary atherosclerosis (also known as coronary heart disease or ischemic heart disease). 
I would advise you to consult a cardiologist and get an ECG and stress test done for the proper diagnosis and treatment.