Burning sensation felt after insect bite on thigh. Vision lost. Can insect bite lead to blindness?

Hi Doctor. I am A 42 years old woman living in south africa, durban. In december 2011, i was crossing a small water hole and felt a burning sensation on my thighs. Looked closer and it turned red. I assure i was bitten/stang by an insect or tick. A few days later my left eye turned red and painful. I saw my family doctor who said it could be an infection. Pain and sight was difficult. 2 weeks later ,no vision at all in left eye. An eye specialist after numeriouus test said i had blindness in that left eye. Can insect/tick bite cause this immediate blindness. Pleae help with names of insects/ticks for my personal reseach. Thank You Zeehita
Asked On : Sun, 27 May 2012