Burning sensation during and after sex, swollen labia minora. Normal?

Hi I am 33 I have been having sexual intercourse recently, well I haven t have sex for years. before my period came I went to the doctor complaining of pain during intercourse . He said it was sore and he couldn t give me a reason why. I asked the nurse and she told me it was normal to experience pain prior my menstrual cycle during sex. after my period finished I has an itch so I used canesten cream three to four times a day. Although my G.P said it wasn t thrush. yesterday I felt a burning sensation during and after sex my labia minora was very swollen I applied yogurt to relief the burning sensation. I still feel sore. Went to the pharmacist and ask for help and gave me vagisil. Are this symptoms normal? or should i seek medical help again? I am just not used to having an active sexual live and all this is new to me. thanks Isabel.
Asked On : Tue, 6 Nov 2012