Burning sensation around the carotid artery in neck. What is the issue?

Every now an then when I am walking I get a burning sensation around the carotid artery area in my neck. It doesn't last but a few seconds and I don't have any other systems. There is no pattern and it doesn't happen every day, but it does happen about 2 or 3 times a month. It has been happening for upwards of 10 years and every time I mention it to my Internist they check my carotid with a stethoscope and say everything is fine. Just wondering if you have ever heard of this before?
Asked On : Mon, 22 Apr 2013