Burning rashes in hands after IV for colonoscopy procedure. How to stop spreading of virus?

My husband has a rash on both hands. He had an IV on 2/18/13 during his colonoscopy procedure. He first noticed it the next morning. It has slowly spread to cover the back of his hands about 1/2 way each. The rash doesn t itch but it burns a bit when put into warm to hot water. The appearance is flat red spots that look like small cuts with red irritation as well. I tried hydrocortisone on one hand and an antifungal on the other. No response to the hydrocortisone but small improvement with the antifungal. He said it seemed to stop the spread of the virus at least. Any ideas other than to seek his doctor?
Asked On : Wed, 27 Feb 2013