Burning in the lungs while taking deep breaths, cough. Is it due to the chlorinated water in the swimming pool or due to smoking?

Hi, I keep very fit for triathlons, training twice per day most days. . This week I have started swimming in a different pool. For the last two days I have a burning sensation in my lungs when I take a deep breath and have a slight cough today. Perhaps too much chlorine or a symptom something else ( I am an ex smoker of 15 years) I m 35. Thanks, Barry
Asked On : Sat, 1 Dec 2012
Addiction Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Hi Barry,

Your symptoms appear to be unlikely to be related to smoking and are most probably due to the change in swimming pool. Please consult a doctor as you may be having an infection. Excess chlorine in water would also cause redness and burning sensation in eyes and if you are not having these, the chlorine content is probably fine.

Best wishes.