Bumps on arm, itching, swelling, growing in size. Used cortisone cream, benadryl. Treatment?

My husband noticed 3 bumps on one arm and 1 bump on the other arm close to golfball size last night around 9 or 10 pm. They were slightly itchy. Around 2am he woke up and his hands were extremely itchy and 2 fingers were starting to swell . We put cortisone cream on and he took benadryl . Around 6am he woke up again with extremely itchy hands and now they are swollen to the point he cannot make a fist and the bumps on his arms are even bigger. The bumps do not have puss they are not red. The do not have an identifiable bite mark. Any ideas on what this could be?
Asked On : Tue, 8 Jan 2013