Bumps at the base of skull on either side of opening. Cause and treatment?

I have two swollen like sore bumps at the base of my skull on eiher side of the spine opening. I get stiff and soreness in my next with unbearable pressure and pain. If I have my husband rub these bumps real HARD with real force - almost unbearable, after several minutes of this the pain subsides for a little while, but it will be back. What can be causing this? Is my course of treatment dangerous? Please help.
Asked On : Wed, 24 Oct 2012
I would have advised not to follow this course of treatment.
Unless reason of swellig is known it is better to avoid rubbing
Please go for MRI of local area including brain and take the opinion of neurosurgeon
Dr Lal