Bump on the head after falling from bed for 5 yr old, no other problem. Should I be worried ?

My 5 year old just fell out of bed onto hardwood floor. Bed was around 3 1/2 feet high. Checked her limbs, face, neck and head. She cried out when she fell but was sitting on floor when i reached the room, she seemed fine When I checked her head for bumps she was able to tell me when I touched a certain part of the back if her head. I talked with her and now he is asleep. Should I wake her every few hours to see if she is ok?
Asked On : Sat, 6 Oct 2012
Hi. Thank you for your query.From your complaints, I don't think your child has a very serious bump. since she was crying when you reached the room, she is unlikely to have lost consciousness. However, it should not be taken lightly. Please follow the following advise for the next 48 hours.
1. keep the sleeping child in the same room as you sleep in,so as to be immediately aware of any change in her general condition.
2.Take her to the doctor immediately if you think she is over sleeping, talking incoherently, has upward eye rolling or seizures.Talk with her when she is awake to ensure her answers are coherent.
3. There is no need to wake her up every few hours unless you feel her sensorium is not normal.
4. Do not send the child to school or allow her to play any contact sports for a couple of days.
I think your child will be up and about soon.
I hope you are reassured. Bye
Pediatrician, Cardiology Dr. Pradeep Kumar's  Response
Fall from bed may cause head injury which can be external or internal. You can check for external injury by local examination. Any loss of conciousness, irritability, any change in behaviour or vomiting indicate possibility of internal injury. Neuroimaging may be needed if there is any sign of internal injury, so be watchful for all these signs and consult your doc immediately if you notice any of this. Otherwise no need to worry.
With regards