Bump on head after hit. Why is it still tender to touch?

My son bumped his head pretty bad about a week ago. He s been acting totally normal, even after the incident, he cried but then continued playing but the bump feels like a marble coming out of the side of his head (it s about the size of a marble too). Shouldn t it have gone down by now??? I m kicking myself for not asking the doctor today when I went in for his 3 yr. well check...but I honestly didn t realize it was still that big, until he brushed the bump up against the doorway today and cried so it s still tender to the touch...should I take him back in??
Asked On : Fri, 17 Aug 2012
Hi there,

Thanks for writing in.

I would suggest that you wait for one more week before taking him to the doctor. If your son is active and playing normally, eating well etc, don't worry. The swelling normally takes time to go down.

Probably he hit his head again on the same spot and that is why it still might be tender. You might also want to apply some hot fomentation on the bump.

This is just for your information. In case your son bumps his head hard on the wall at any time, apply ice pack at the site of trauma immediately and intermittently for 5 minutes.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan
General & Family Physician Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani's  Response
Hi, Siloka,
Thanks for query.
It seems that due to hard hit there might be collection of blood on the part leading to infection.
Now he might require an antibiotic medicine course for cure.
Consult your doctor and get examined.
Ok and bye.