Bump behind ear, swelling, tender when touching, have neck problems. What is the cause?

Hi there. I recently noticed a little tiny bump behind my left ear. I am feeling perfectly fine and know its not my lymph nodes. My husband took a look and said it seems like it s my vein just being a bit swollen. Any idea what would cause that? It feels a bit tender when touching but nothing unusual. I must add that I ve been suffering from neck issues mainly on my RIGHT side and have seen a chiropractor for the past couple of years. After couple of adjustment things would feel normal again. Therefore I am finding it strange to have any issues on the other side. Please advise as soon as possible! Thank you!!
Asked On : Sun, 28 Oct 2012
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Aug 2013
hello and welcome to health care magic,

I am Dr Sriram nathan an ENT surgeon and I will try to help you out with your problem.

At the offset I would like to understand just how you could rule out that the swelling is not a node? Any physical examination even done by an expert can never exclude any swelling unless it is substantiated by an pathological diagnosis which can be done either by FNAC or by biopsy and only then can the nature of swelling be confirmed.

I would advice you to take a course of antibiotic like amox-clav for a week in consultation with your doctor and do not go for any chiropractor adjustment for a week and see if the swelling improves.

If the swelling persists then you must consult an ENT surgeon who will try to help you out with the test I mentioned above

hope this helps

Dr Sriram Nathan