Bulging discs. Meaning of Mild right carpel tunnel syndrome? Why pain in rectum and pins and needles?

Dear Doctor, My mother aged 58 has the following symptoms: 1. severe pins and needles sensation in both heels - last 5 months 2. mild pins and needles sensation in toes - last 5 months 3. rare mild pins and needles sensation in palms - last 5 months 4. burning sensation in both foot 5. jerks hands, legs, and abdomen during sleep 6. burning sensation in left upper back - occasionally last 5 months 7. pain in buttocks . 8. pain in rectum - last 3 months mostly in the nights 9. urinary hesitancy - last 3 months occasionally mostly in the nights 10.pain in lower back - last 3 months 11. calf muscles have become thin and weak. 12. The pain is not continuous from buttock to feet rather only local in buttocks and feet We have been consulting with a neurophysician for the past 3 months. Not a diabetic. Vitamin D - 11.5 ng/ml Vitamin B12 - 671 pg/ml Nerve conduction study report : Mild peripheral Neuropathy , Mild right carpel tunnel syndrome MRI whole spine report: Mild broad posterior bulge at L4-5 and L5-S1 disc indenting the thecal sac She is on following medicines for the past 3 months: 1. Maxgalin 75 mg 2. Nervijen 3. Shellcal 500 mg 4. Calcirol - 1 sachet per week in milk 5. MetXL - 50 Conditions that have changed: We moved from a hot and humid place to a cold place a year ago. She was lifting weights(groceries, wet clothes) up the stairs regularly from the time we moved to this new place. Stopped after the above symptoms started. Questions: Doctor says there is no relation between her bulging discs and her symptoms. But I read generally in the internet that there is a relation. Doctor wants her to be on the above medications for another 2 months and then go for a whole body PET scan. Is the whole body scan necessary or something more local has to be investigated? On the days when she takes Calcirol, the jerks are aggravated. Is there a relation? Should we consult with an Ortho specialist now? Will Physiotherapy help at this point of time? Thank you so much for your precious time and attention. Velsankar - Bangalore
Asked On : Mon, 17 Dec 2012