Bulging and numbness in abdominal muscles after back surgery with titanium mesh in front of spine. Is this common?

I had back surgery due to an accident 18 months ago. In addition to the back surgery they also operated on my left side of my abdoment. From my back just about 4 short from my belly boton. This was done to insert a titenium mesh in the front of my spine to give it more support. All has gone very well with the exception of my abdominal muscle that feels num and bulges out like a large hurnia. I have had aN MRI and a hurnia has been rulled out. I was told this is a result of the surgery. Is this common? And what causes this to occur. Thanks.
Asked On : Fri, 29 Jun 2012