Bruises on arms and shoulders, no pain or soreness. Have low vitamin D level

I am 58 years old and have observered what appears to be bruises on my upper arms, just below my shoulders. There is no pain or soreness and I can not recall any reason that they should be there, no falls or trauma of any kind. They seem to have appeared out of no where. I observered one on my upper left back/shoulder last year, was checked by my primary physician during my annual physical who prescribed an ointment. My vitamin D level was extremely low as I was prescribed that as well.
Asked On : Sun, 2 Sep 2012
Dear friend, welcome to HCM !

Are you on any medicines or blood thinners?
Is it warmer, itchy, elevated?
or just reddish, bluish bleed just below the skin?
Is your skin generally fragile?
Do you have any fever?

Such painless bruises occurring spontaneously are usually subcutaneous bleeds, especially if you are on aspirin etc. Sometimes spontaneously in fragile skins.
Subtle clotting/ bleeding disorders may bleed like this.

Can you post a photo here using the site's uploader?

If it increases or new ones appear, you must see your doctor to evaluate for differentials.

Take care and please keep me informed of your progress.
Good Luck !
I hope to have answered your query satisfactorily.
May I request for your rating and review of this answer before you accept the answer and close the query (if there are no more follow up questions)?
Thank you !
Dermatologist Dr. Puvvula Kishore Kumar's  Response
Hi..dear user.,
Thanks for choosing HCM..,
Due to deficiency of Rickets ..,
rash is common at shoulder back area..,
Supplement with vit D analogues..,thanQ