Bruised thumb after getting hurt. Nail getting separated, greenish discoloration. How to take care of it?

I smashed my thumb in a car door about 4 weeks ago. It bled beneath the nail and I called my doctor s office. The nurse said to poke with a large (alcohol swabbed) needle to relieve pressure. I did this several times and it did temporarily relieve pressure. It is still black and the right half of my nail is lifting. In the sunlight it looks very green and I have noticed a little bit of an odor. I ve applied alcohol and antibiotic cream and bandage it daily. Any other suggestions on how to care for it?
Asked On : Wed, 3 Apr 2013
Hi thanks for writing here.After nail trauma it is always common that some blood remains beneath it,which usually subsides with time.There is nothing required for it and you can just take antibiotics and analgesics.But since you have poked it with needle then there are high chances of getting infection,since you are saying that nail looking green and also odor a little bit,it may be pseudomonal infection.It will require oral it is better you consult dermatologist.Please do not ignore this infection ,since it may go deep.Also get your blood sugar done.