Bruised swollen ankle after a fall. Need an x-ray? Broken bone?

I slipped on ice, landed on my bottom with my left foot under me. top of foot is scraped, bruised, ankle swollen and bruised, with a golf ball sized knot. I can walk on it but swells more while I am at work and on it from 8:00 to 1:00. I am taking Advil every 4 hours and using ice pack for 20 mins at a time, elevating most of the time except for work. Do you recommend an x-ray? Is it possible to have a broken bone and still be able to walk on it?
Asked On : Tue, 15 Jan 2013