Bruised nail on the toe after an injury. Have fluid discharge. How to prevent infections?

My husband dropped a heavy object on his toe. The nail bed is of course bruised and the nail seems to be partially detached. What is the best way to care for it and prevent infection. He has on more than one occasion poured peroxide over it. I am not at all sure that was a great idea as it had been oozing since. I suggested soaking in a salt foot bath. What are you recommendations for the best care and infection prevention?
Asked On : Tue, 23 Apr 2013