Bruised and swollen foot, toes sticking to each other. History of fall, snapping sound, pain and tingling in toes. X-ray report normal. Advice

Hi, on Friday I fell down the stairs and landed on the top of my left foot. I heard a loud snapping sound and then searing pain and tingling in my toes. I was taken to A&E and had an x-ray which showed that nothing was broken so my ankle was tapped up and I was sent home with crutches and told to rest for a couple of days and then start to move around. I can now put some weight on my foot but it is still bruised and a little swollen. My big toe and the one next to it feel odd, it is like they keep 'sticking' to each other and I have to keep moving them apart. I wasn't really told what I had done to my foot, but ligament damage was mentioned. Just wondering how long it is likely to take to heal, why my toes feel 'twisted' and what may have caused the snapping sound if it isn't broken?
Asked On : Thu, 28 Mar 2013