Bruised and swollen ankle, iced it, opposite side is getting swollen. Is there a treatment emergency?

i rolled my ankle about 3 weeks ago and it bruised and swelled up really quickly it still hurts really bad but i walk on it all the time i ice it and elevated after work and ive fractured the same ankle before and it didnt look this bad or hurt this bad should i go to the hospital because now the opposite side of my ankle is starting to swell and it hurts just as bad i just dnt want to waste money if its not broken
Asked On : Mon, 25 Jun 2012
The only way your would know if it was broken would be to get an X-ray. If you have been walking on it and your symptoms are improving then its unlikely that you would have a break that would require anything other than a cast. I would encourage you to get into physiotherapy as appropriate rehab is very important with ankle sprains. If it is a sprain then it is not unusual for these injuries to take more that 3 weeks to completely resolve.