Bruise, swelling, numbness, pain where needle was inserted for blood donation. Solution?

Hi, I donated blood about two weeks ago unsuccessfully because they couldn t find a vein . They inserted the needle and moved it around a lot and even made me bend my arm with the needle in to try to find the vein. I have given in the past and had no reactions but this time it was painful the whole time the needle was being moved around and I had a big bruise a lots of swelling as well. The initial bruise went away but now a new one is forming along the vein they tried to use and I have pain along the inside of my elbow as well as some slight numbness over where the pain is. Its numb on the surface but when I put pressure on it, it definitely hurts. I called the Red Cross people and they said it may be nerve irritation. I was just wondering what I should do about it and if I should go see a doctor rather than just talking on the phone with a nurse.
Asked On : Wed, 21 Nov 2012