Bruise on calf, tenderness. No trauma. Swelling and soreness

My active 82 yr-old Mother in law showed me this bruise covering her entire calf down to her ankle/ foot . She s had it about 4 days now. It s fading slightly (color changed from deep blue to a reddish purple). However, some bruising is appearing in the front of her leg. She only feels minor tenderness in the upper calf muscle . She doesn t recall bumping or injuring her calf. She said both of her calves felt sore after climbing up and down a step ladder. That s when she noticed the bruise covering the back of her lower leg. There s a little swelling as well. It s like blood has pooled in there. Thanks in advance for any insight.
Asked On : Mon, 26 Nov 2012