Bruise in lower back, dis-colourisation, not painful. Should I be concerned?

Hi, When I take my 5 yr old son to his pediatric annual check ups, our doctor always looks at his spine for bruising. What is she checking for? My son currently had a raised bruise-like area on his lower back last night. It is not painful to the touch, that is why is say it is bruise-like. Today, a boy in his daycare hit him on the back on the same spot where I detected the discoloration last night and now the area looks like a bruise about 3 inches in diameter. The area still doesn't feel painful to him if you touch it. Should I be concerned?
Asked On : Sat, 20 Apr 2013