Bruise in leg turning black after fall. Why is it like that and what needs to be done?

Worried about my grandmother who is in her late 80 s and lives in Mexico, she fell and didn t go to the doctor right away. Her leg was so bruised it was turning black to the point that when she finally saw the doctor they told her that if she d waited longer she wouldnt have a leg. Its been about 1yr and her leg is very hard and the skin is a dark brown color. I m not sure if she is seeing a doctor still. Why is her leg like that and what needs to be done? thanks
Asked On : Fri, 18 May 2012
Dear sir,
Good to hear that your grandmother was seen by a professional before it was too late. Such complications can happen when there is an obstruction in the arterial system of the involved limb. Whenever there is trauma there will be associated hematoma (collection of blood) in the tissues which starts to become dark during resolution but this should not be confused with gangrenous changes in the leg. I would suggest she meets a vascular surgeon who will be able to help you further.