Brownish, unpleasant vaginal discharge, partner felt a growth inside during intercourse. What could this be?

I ve been having a brownish, unpleasant discharge in the three weeks since my period. A couple nights ago my husband said he was feeling something inside me during intercourse and tonight he said it felt bigger and was causing him you know what this could be? I am planning to make an appointment with my doctor tomorrow...
Asked On : Sun, 30 Sep 2012
Hello and welcome to HCM,     
I am Dr Nilajkumar a consultant gynecologist and I will be helping you in your queries.

There are a few causes of growths that may be felt during intercourse. The common ones are cervical polyps. They are non cancerous tumors of the cervix and cause spotting. They can be removed easily.
Other causes are a vaginal cyst and cervical erosion with a hypertrophied cervix.. Vaginal cyst mostly presents as a lump in vagina. It may cause pain but discharge is rare. Hypertrophied cervix is very common. The cervix is swollen and its size increases due to inflammation. Cervical discharge is very common in this condition.
A very rare cause is cervical cancer. The discharge is usually yellow and foul smelling. This is rare.

Many other conditions may be felt as lump like fibroid polyp, inversion of uterus, but they are not so common.

Please do not worry as almost all conditions are treatable.

Hope this was helpful.
Feel free to ask any further queries and I will be happy to help.
Thanks for using HCM.
Have a good day.
Dr Nilajkumar Bagde          
Consultant Obstetrics and Gynecology