Brown menstrual bleeding with clots. What to do?

hy doc, i get my periods on 30th of every month but in the month of august it was on 27th for 3 days and slight spots on 4th day..i did hav travelling so i believed it was due to this i had 3days earlier than usual.but now in the month of september on 27th i had diminishing flow with bits of clots for 4 days brownish in color,a friend of mine suggested meprate 10mg ,iam married and have timely intercourse with my hubby,kindly advise what can be done..and i have tried writing u many times but face technical issues in the payment step..can i get your contact number or mail id plz...thanks in advance
Asked On : Sun, 7 Oct 2012
Since you are sexually active without protection, you have high chances of conception. Your menstrual history is suggestive of slightly shortened cycles, which is within normal limits. The fact that you passed clots needs investigation to rule out a chemical pregnancy and/or endometrial hyperplasia. Please do not use hormones on your own as they can further harm your system. Please see a specialist for a proper clinical evaluation. If you find any difficulty uploading a query, please contact the customer care wing. If you wish, you can contact me directly through this link
Hope this helps.
OBGYN Dr. Nishikant Shrotri's  Response
Jan 2016
Hallow Dear,

I do appreciate your worries.

Just brownish spotting for last two cycles may not be the menstrual bleeding at all. You should first rule out the possibility of pregnancy before taking any hormonal medicines for regularization of menses. In occasional cases, very little to notable bleeding around the expected time of menses is known during early pregnancy. Previously it was known as Placental sign, now known as Implantation bleeding.

The best option for you would be to go for pregnancy test on overnight first morning urine sample; else you may opt for Beta hCG test which is very sensitive. With history of two months delay in normal menses, ultrasonography also may guide you appropriately. You have to keep in mind that the brown bleeding is always a stale bleeding. So it has come out after staying in the uterus for few days. It could be a sign denoting risk to the life of the baby. Therefore even if pregnancy tests are negative, please get ultrasonography done.

If the spotting turns out to be unrelated to pregnancy causes, then some intrauterine pathology like polyp or so would have to be ruled out. That possibility also would be confirmed by ultrasonography. Ultrasonography can reveal any ovarian pathology like PCOS also.

If no such cause is detected, you may take Dab. Deviry for 5 days; 4-7 days later you should get normal withdrawal bleeding.

I hope this will help you to take decision.

Dr. Nishikant Shrotri