Broken knee cap, whole legs turn black while on crutches until they are elevated, knee cap swollen. Normal?

I broke my knee cap on Dec.31/12, vertically. No treatment was offered after the x-rays. I was told to keep it immobile for 6 weeks and then try to walk on it. It s been 5 weeks now, and if I m not sitting down and elevating it at all times, my whole leg turns a dark blue/black when I m up on my crutches. The same thing when I get out of bed in the morning - my whole leg is dark blue/black until I elevate it while sitting on the recliner. The knee cap is also still very swollen. Is this normal? I was told I could go back to work in 6 weeks, but this does not seem posslible to me.
Asked On : Fri, 8 Feb 2013