Broken humerus bone. Surgery suggested. Severe pain. Any suggestions for temporary relief?

I broke my humerus bone in 2 places Wednesday morning. I was out of the state for Holiday and the ER ortho surgeon decided surgery was best because of fragments. He put a plate and pins and a ridiculously big splint that I can t hardly function with. I am traveling back to Florida over the next 2 days to find a doctor at home but I was left with no incision care instruction or when I can or cannot take this splint off. Any advice for some comfort?
Asked On : Wed, 28 Nov 2012