Broken humerus and collar bone in an accident. Plates inserted. Why there is a swelling in the arm?

I was in a car accident 5 months ago which broke my left humeris bone and my collar bone on the same side. My doctor put 3 plates on my collar bone and one in my arm that go s from my elbow and up almost to the top. My question is should my arm still be swollen? when measured my hurt arm is 10 cm bigger than the other is that normal? when i questioned my doctor about it he said it could last up to a year.
Asked On : Sat, 9 Feb 2013