Broken femur bone, transverse fracture. Was on vitamin D and calcium supplements. Done MRI and XRay. Is a surgery necessary?

I am a male, 50 years old, non-smoker, no diabetes. In December 2012, I broke my femur bone (Transverse fracture). The treatment I received for this injury was Intramedullary nailing. In June 2013, one of the screws (close to the knee) holding the metal rod was removed because the bone was not healing (non-union). In July 2013, I was put on Vitamin D and calcium supplements because the removal of the screws was not helping the bone to heal. An x-ray did not reveal this treatment to be working so an MRI was ordered. The MRI revealed the bone is still not healing. The next option the Doctors recommended is an ultrasound bone stimulator. My question is this, If the ultrasound bone stimulator does not work, do I have another option besides surgery? Thanks for your time.
Asked On : Thu, 17 Oct 2013