Broken femur. Repaired with plates and screws. Given cortisone shots. What to expect?

My husband broke his femur in three places it was repaired five years ago twice, with a plate and screws For the last year or two he has been having hip pain,it has gotten so bad the Orthopedic surgeon gave him two cortisone shots in the hip to no avail. They are now going to remove the hardware but are not positive this is the problem because the Cat Scan shows it is fine. He is n such pain now he is crawling up the stairs to bed. We don t know if it is his back or the hardware but they are removing the hardware next month just in case Any ideas. He has had a back operation about ten years ago t It was called a decompression.
Asked On : Fri, 15 Mar 2013