Broken elbow. Surgery, pin put in to hold elbow. Okay to remove screw for bone growth?

The question below is very similar to my son s situation, only he does not have heaviness in his hand . My son broke his elbow July 2010 as well, requiring surgery within a few days. A pin was put in (a screw) to hold the tip of the elbow that was detached and it is now healed (June 2012). Since my son is still growing, would it be wise to remove the screw now, so that bone might grow in place of the screw and as not to impede the growth of his bone? What is your recommendation? Also, he is a competitive swimmer, but we are just concerned it may cause problems later on. Can you please advise? Thank you.
Asked On : Fri, 22 Jun 2012