Broke the radius of left arm, fractured, displaced. Why is it not healing? Worry?

Hi i broke the radius on my left arm 13 days ago.I went to casualty after 2 days and before it was x rayed i was told i might need surgery.When the doctor saw the x rays she said i did not need surgery.She showed me the fracture and said there was slight displacement but it was ok.She put a plaster on which she said i would have for 6 weeks.I asked if it would heal ok and she said yes it would heal perfectly.I am a 51 year old female.I was unable to keep my appointment for the following week and my resheduled appointment is for 3rd January.My worry is that some friends of mine said i should have kept this appointment as the plaster was probably only temporary and that when the orthopaedic surgeon saw it the following week he would probably have said it needed surgery(a pin) and that now it wont heal properly and that i may have an awful lot of trouble with this break in the future.I m very worried now as it is still very painful.Have i been stupid and left it too late?I had believed what the doctor told me in casualty.
Asked On : Sat, 29 Dec 2012