Broke ankle weeks ago, now have a blotchy red appearance on skin. Reason?

I have broken my left ankle 4 weeks ago and today I have a blotchy red apperance on my skin ? I have an air cast , I have spent a lot of time in bed resting it on a pillow, I do get out of bed for about an hour every day but when I do my foot becomes very swollen and tight ? Is this right ? Thanks x YYYY@YYYY
Asked On : Thu, 24 Jan 2013
Hi there
A red patch seems to be due to either tight cast rubbing skin or due to local collection of fluid due to edema.
Some swelling while standing is very common in ankle fractures, but you need to prevent excess of it.
In case of excess , lie down immediately with 2 pillows under leg and head down.
Apply cold compresses .
wear a venous stocking at all times.
Good luck